Women in Afghanistan gradually disappearing from public life

This is the location to place put posts/topics that do not belong in any other area. (if it seems interesting enough, we might create a new area for the discussion)

Note: Anyone can read this forum, only registered users may post or reply to messages.
johnh

Post by johnh » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:28 am

https://www.france24.com/en/afghanistan ... ublic-life

Issued on: 03/08/2022

Women in Afghanistan are slowly disappearing from public life, a year after the Taliban retook control of the country and imposed a rigorous version of Islamic Sharia law. FRANCE 24’s Shahzaib Wahlah and Sonia Ghezali report from Kabul.

Deprived of education, forced to wear the full veil, banned from politics and the media, women are gradually disappearing from public life in Afghanistan. The Taliban regime has put in place a rigorous version of Islamic Sharia law that leaves no room for women, who make up more than half of the population.

A civil servant who spoke to FRANCE 24 on condition of anonymity says she has become little more than a shadow. Her husband is seriously ill and she was the sole breadwinner.

"I liked my work, I could offer a good education to my children. But when they arrived I was forced to stay at home. And they cut my salary. I believe that the Taliban are the same as they were before. It is a dark regime."